Disappearing .htaccess

I’ve helped two friends with Reclaim accounts who have Wordpress sites where all links return not found errors. All were older sites likely manually installed, not via Installatron.

I have noticed that in these cases the .htaccess files were absent from the main WP directory. Replacing them with a stock version fixed:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

Just curious if anyone has stumbled across this. I have a fleet of old sites and it’s not happened to me.

Were these applications moved to be managed by Installatron? Or managed separately? It’s possible the files were deleted if the site was also managed through an FTP client like FileZilla, which can remove the file from the site itself as it’s overwritten with default content or completely removed from the account.

You were just on the right track getting it back up and running replacing with the default WordPress rules!

I was wrong! The two sites I fixed recently were originally installed with installatron.

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.