Federated Wiki via Docker Engine

I’m trying this is a docker engine right now and it’s not working. I can’t even get a connection when I open in browser. Here are my steps after spinning up a docker engine instance per Jim’s blog post :

docker pull federatedwiki\distribution
docker run -d -p 80:80 federatedwiki\distribution wiki -p 80

the cli spit back a long string and no error, so it looks like it’s running but I can’t connect to it.

Two fairly minor things:

1. Your \ needs to be a forward slash / when referencing docker images.
  2. Their docker file exposes the wiki internally on port 3000 so you need to reference the port as 80:3000 to display externally what is internally running on 3000. Also no need for a duplicate port tag at the end there.

docker run -d -p 80:3000 federatedwiki/distribution

appears to be working.

It’s alive. Thanks for catching the typo.

@Mixed_Realities It’s running. Alas, the authentication doesn’t seem to be running and I can’t get anything to save. I imagine it’s something with the config file. Unfortunately I don’t know where to look for that in a docker container. All the Federated Wiki documentation I can find presumes a server.

2 Likes

reading all this, a one-click installation via Marketplace would really be nice :slight_smile: Federated Wiki is a great idea, but it lives in developer’s minds, and too little attention goes to make it accessible for common folks.

1 Like

Try this link and let me know how it goes for you. It’s a first pass at an installer. Instead of using Docker it does a standard Node.JS install and sets up authentication. The documentation is quite light and it’s been many years since I played with the software so no promises it’s a perfect implementation but if it’s useful enough as an installer we can add to Marketplace.

2 Likes

It works. You are amazing. One last question. I bound the environment to my wiki subdomain. When I add a let’s encrypt cert with the add on should I put that subdomain in the external domains box?

It works perfectly! It would be great to have it on Marketplace (with some explanations about what Fedwiki is all about). Thank you so very much!

Exactly right, as long as DNS is pointed as a CNAME to the reclaim.cloud subdomain for the environment adding the domain there should allow Let’s Encrypt to issue a certificate.

Alas the cert isn’t working. Unencrypted connections to the bound domain are fine (so the CNAME record must be working) but https:… gives an unable to connect error. It’s not a huge deal, or maybe something needs to propagate. Just wanted to let you know. Thanks for all your work on this.

Looking at Free Let's Encrypt SSL Certificates: Out-of-Box Integration | Virtuozzo I don’t see Node.js listed as an option for automatic LE certs (though it would be odd for the addon to present itself if it isn’t compatible). A quick workaround was to add an Nginx load balancer to the topology and assign LE to that. That seems to have worked so I’ll have to investigate if the LE addon just doesn’t work automatically with Node app servers or what.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into this. Adding the load balancer for just the cert does increase the resource usage quite a bit.