Jitsi w/ Jibri for recording

Anyone had luck getting the recording/streaming component of Jitsi working? I installed jisti from the marketplace (seems to use GitHub - jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet: Jitsi Meet on Docker) and that works pretty slick. There is a jibri.yml waiting for you to use if you ssh in and cd to ~/docker-jitsi-meet so following the instructions you can run this command to spin up jibri:

docker-compose -f docker-compose.yml -f jibri.yml up -d

The problem is this will fail after it pulls down the images it needs:

Starting docker-jitsi-meet_jibri_1 ... error

ERROR: for docker-jitsi-meet_jibri_1  Cannot start service jibri: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/snd": no such file or 
directory

ERROR: for jibri  Cannot start service jibri: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/snd": no such file or directory
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

It seems like this is because you need ALSA loopback support (snd-aloop). See:

and the instructions they reference:

I think I got alsa installed with yum install alsa-utils but it seems like snd-aloop might require a different kernel or something. Once we get to kernel stuff my noodling around probably won’t get me very far.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone else was interested in testing the recording / streaming component of Jitsi. I’d love to help get this working if its possible/reasonable!

My next idea would be to instead try and set up jibri just on an ubuntu vps, but in the limited testing I’ve done there I run into similar kernel issues.

1 Like

I have this very same interest actually. We have been testing out a Jitsi server for online meetings and it’s been working very well so naturally the next step was looking at recording and streaming and the Jibri server presents some issues with that loopback module requirement. As best I can tell within a Docker container the kernel cannot be modified (and although it may not be obvious, even a VPS in Jelastic is still a containerized version of an OS with similar limitations). I have yet to be successful but this post pushed me to send a message upstream to the Jelastic folks to see if their aware of this limitation or have any ideas. Worst case I’m considering the potential for running Jibri on standalone hardware (maybe test on a DigitalOcean VPS) separate from our cloud-hosted Jitsi instance but it would be great to have it all in one place.

2 Likes

What I’m hearing from Jelastic is that they are actively working on making it compatible but there is additional work because the required snd-aloop modules have to exist on the host node and not just the virtualized instances that are setup. I’ll update this thread if/when I get more information but good to know they are considering compatibility. For now I’m going to test a Jibri setup on DigitalOcean connected to my Jitsi setup on RC and see if that’s a viable alternative.

1 Like

Sounds good. I did some testing trying to actually change kernels last night in an Ubuntu VPS with no success, so the fact that those are also technically containers makes more sense.

Quick question on making changes to my Jitsi setup as I don’t know much about docker yet. I haven’t really found specific instructions on how to configure Jitsi to look at a seperate host for jibri. But it looks like I might be able to make some changes to the jitsi setup by editing either the .env file or docker-compose.yml?

Can I just edit these files and restart the application? Or should I be doing this with environment variables in Jelastic?

Sorry I missed this question but yeah, for that package you would edit the compose and .env files. You may have to run docker-compose build afterwards and then restart.

I had some success with getting Jibri going on Digital Ocean but it was fairly difficult and the latency may be causing stuttering on my end. But with that said Jelastic just reached out and said they are updating their package to work with Jibri and while the QA testing took longer than they expected it should be rolling out in the next few days (ETA is June 30th).

Awesome that was fast! I can wait 4 days :slight_smile:

The one-click Jitsi Meet installer now supports recording and live stream functionality out of the box. You’ll find the options in a meeting room here:

And the recordings are stored here:

1 Like

Excellent!

1 Like

@timmmmyboy Will the YouTube live stream feature work with the rtmp URL and Stream Key for ds106.tv (or some other service)?

No, I had to modify an instance of Jitsi pretty heavily to get that to work with an alternative stream URL. Right now it’s only YouTube out of the box. Some discussion at How do I change YOUTUBE Live Stream to another RTMP server url? - Record & stream - Jibri - Jitsi Community Forum - developers & users

1 Like