Mattermost Settings

Strange a user satisfaction plugin would be necessary for a Slack import. I am trying a test import from Slack on my Mattermost presently. I am going to start with the web app option and then move to CLI and let you know what I find. As of now i have been useless because I am not able to reproduce any of these errors.

Thanks! Iā€™ll be interested to see what you find. I think the errors were being thrown because that NPS plugin was incompletely or incorrectly installed, and for some reason the installer was running a check on general configurations. (The first time through it included an error about the way email was set up. I fixed that and the error went away.)

In any case, no errors now, but also no import. ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Oddly I am see the com.mattermost.mps plugin on my install in ~/mattermost-docker/volumes/app/mattermost/plugins/ so I can confirm it is there and the User Satisfaction Surveys plugin is showing in system settings:

The web import worked cleanly, but that was a very small file. I am now going to try a larger import file with the CLI and let you know. Out of curiosity, how big is your slack import file?

I have a full export file thatā€™s 31.7MB. I also have a recent-only export file thatā€™s 3.7MB. Neither works via web import. Iā€™ve only tried the larger one via CLI.

ETA: The NPS plugin settings are present in my console as well, though the plugin file structure wasnā€™t complete when I dug into it.

Okay, tried the smaller file at the command line. No dice.

1 Like

My CLI import of 300KB worked, but I think I need to do a bigger one. I went back through this thread and following the back and forth between you and Chris got me the permissions I needed to run the import (what a bear!). I found going from importing one day of Slack messages to importing one week did not necessarily merge everything properly, but it did work for both, so let me try a bigger file (perhaps a months worth?) and report back if that worked cleanly

OK, as an update I just did an import of a 547KB file, which was a monthā€™s worth of Slack for Reclaim, I am downloading the entire history, which may be huge, and will try that, but right now the import via CLI is working cleanly for me. But a bigger file may be an issue. Can you try importing just one day of Slack for readingmatter.info and see if you have the same issues?

Huh. Got a one-day export (37KB) from Slack and tried an import both via the Console and the CLI. Null result, both times. So itā€™s got to be something particular to my setup?

yeah, that is what I am thinking, it sounded weird the plugins were not there too, so it might make sense to delete the current instance and start from scratch, doesnā€™t that sound fun? If you want help on that front just let me know.

The good news is that Iā€™m getting very good at starting over. Iā€™ll give it a shot later today.

Argh, new thorn! I removed the existing environment and started building a new one but when I got to the point of creating the Letā€™s Encrypt cert I got an error saying that too many certs for my set of domains had been created. If Iā€™d known, Iā€™d have moved the existing cert before removing the prior environment. Is there anything I can do at this point?

Ignoring the cert issue for now, and working at http rather than https. However: attempted import of one-day Slack export (36K) fails both on the Console and at the command line. Jim, could there be some variance between the kinds of privileges you have and the kinds of privileges I have, given the beta status of my account? Or between the ways the marketplace sets up Mattermost for you vs for me?

Kathleen,

You should have the same privileges as mean on that container. Share it with me again and let me know what the import file is named and where it lives and I will login and try to do the one day import on your instance. Also, does the web import not work for a one day import? Also, what is the team name?

Details coming via pm

I GOT IT!!! And I am beside myself with both joy and fury. The fury bit is that I was using Safari to download the Slack export and it automatically unzipped the file. No worries, I thought; Iā€™ll zip it. Apparently the import did not like that. Downloaded via Firefox, uploaded the resulting zip, and bingo.

Yay, and sheesh.

3 Likes

tenor

1 Like