Omeka S - initial email for new users / password reset email

New users don’t seem to be getting sent an initial login email to set a password, nor do they get sent a password reset email even after I have set a password for them manually. Although they can login fine if I set a password manually.

I’ve tested it with a variety of email address, including my personal gmail, so it doesn’t seem like it’s a case of the emails not getting though or ending up in a spam folder,

Is there a setting I need to tweak to get this to work? Or does the Admin user have to set a password manually for each user in Omeka S?

Thanks

Jamie

Hi Jamie!
Great question-- I suspect there may be some issues with the email sent from your account. In order to take a look, I do need to know your URL of the Omeka S install. Feel free to add that in this thread or send us an email to Support and we’ll be happy to take a look! (I’ll update the thread as we go for others to reference).

Thanks Meredith.

It’s installed at http://congruenceengine.reclaim.hosting

Happy to keep the discussion here, but if you need emails and other more personal details I’ll open a support ticket.

Awesome! Thanks so much for confirming the URL, that helps a ton. I’m seeing a few errors in the ‘Track Delivery’ section in cPanel referencing email issues.

Omeka S by default uses the email on file (typically the email the account owner used to sign up) to send the password resets/welcome emails of all users.

This is typically fine if you’re working with an email like @gmail.com or @outlook.com, but in this case, since the account email is an institutional email, the mail server with your institution is denying the Reclaim Hosting traffic.

Luckily this is an easy fix! You’ll want to configure the Omeka S to use an external SMTP server through your institution’s email server. You will want to follow Omeka’s instructions to Mail Configurations

Alternatively, I can help you adjust the email used.

Give the above instructions a try and let me know if you have any additional questions!

Thanks for such a quick & detailed response,

I think that’s probably enough information for me to be able to do the next steps alone, but will let you know if I get stuck.

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.