Subscribe to Comments PHP errors

Helped a family member create a new WordPress blog (she loves it)- the default Installatron app installs the Subscribe to Comments Plugin (pretty old, not compatible with WordPress 5.x or later) and looks like to me is tossing PHP 8 errors.

Maybe check to not use any more??

I will say I don’t see those errors out of the box when I install a fresh copy of WP through installatron, but I have seen that plugin conflict with many themes and plugins recently.

Given the age of it, I think it definitely makes sense for it to not be part of the default install. We’ll look into getting that changed!

1 Like

Thanks Taylor,

The new site I saw it on had no additional plugins installed and used the Koji theme.

Possible alt, Subscribe To Comments Reloaded – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

I feel like PHP 8 is chattier in terms of warnings. I have to quiet it down in wp-config.php more aggressively.

These are my new settings.

ini_set('display_errors','Off');
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL );
define('WP_DEBUG', false);
define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

Might be a bad idea, but it feels like many of these things still work fine despite all these warnings.

1 Like

Makes me wonder about the defaults Reclaim installs, it assumes the user is a dev environment when likely 90+% people are doing “production” sites. But then again, most users have no idea where the error logs are.

Or maybe some plugin hack for a dashboard option that would allow some kind of switching between settings to show/suppress warnings-- or maybe this is the answer?

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.