Universal Viewer

I’m trying to add the Universal Viewer plugin for Omeka but not having any success. My coding is not good but I can definitely find and modify code in a directory when I have step-by-step instructions. However, I haven’t been able to find a tutorial for getting UV up and running. Does anyone have any experience doing this that can help me out? Here are the instructions I’m following:

PHP should be installed with the extension exif in order to get the size of images. This is the case for all major distributions and providers. At least one of the php extensions [ GD ] or [ Imagick ] are recommended. They are installed by default in most servers. If not, the image server will use the command line ImageMagick tool convert .

Frankly I don’t really know what this means. I did successfully implement the instructions described in this post (Setting the PHP-CLI path in Omeka Classic), but that’s the only PHP modification I’ve made (and it seems to have worked). I don’t know if this achieves the same thing, or if it interferes with the UV install, or what, so definitely would appreciate any help here.

Uncompress files and rename plugin folder “UniversalViewer”.

Then install it like any other Omeka plugin.

I mean, I think I did this. I uploaded the zip file to my root directory and extracted it there.

• CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing)

To be able to share manifests and contents with other IIIF servers, the server should allow CORS. The header is automatically set for manifests, but you may have to allow access for files via the config of the server.

On Apache 2.4, the module “headers” should be enabled:

a2enmod headers
systemctl restart apache2

Is this something I can even do through Reclaim??

Then, you have to add the following rules, adapted to your needs, to the file .htaccess at the root of Omeka Classic or in the main config of the server:

# CORS access for some files.
<FilesMatch "\.json$">
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
        Header add Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"
        Header add Access-Control-Allow-Headers "origin, x-requested-with, content-type"
        Header add Access-Control-Allow-Methods "GET, POST, OPTIONS"
    </IfModule>
</FilesMatch>

Can I just copy/paste this and stick it at the end of the .htaccess file?

It is recommended to use the main config of the server, for example with the directive <Directory> .

Dunno! Need counsel!

You may have better luck in the Omeka forums for setup info on that plugin, but it does sound like you did everything right. Our servers are setup to use headers automatically and if you’re adding stuff to .htaccess I would probably add it to the top, but unfortunately I have no experience myself with that plugin.

1 Like