Adding users for access to specific directories in cPanel File Manager

Hi,

This may not be possible, but I’m wondering if there’s some way via cPanel to create additional users (my kids, in this case) that only have access to specific directories, but they can access those directories using cPanel’s file manager?

This would be analogous to an FTP user, but with the web interface of the File Manager, if that makes sense. Any ideas how I could do this?

I’m trying to teach my kids some web stuff and I’ve got a domain for them to play on, but I don’t want them to have to use my login every time they’re working on it.

Thanks,
Zach

Hi Zach,
This is a great question! We do see this use case a lot, but unfortunately, cPanel doesn’t have a way to add additional users and add them to specific directories. It’s been a feature request on their forum for literally years, but they don’t have this on their radar.

You’d have to share the login with them to access the account. It’s definitely an annoying feature and a big security risk to share credentials between the class.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here! I do wish cPanel had a more concrete way of working through this (or even had the feature in general).

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.