Linking a second domain registered with google sites

Hi,

I’m working on a project that currently has a website built in a drag-and-drop builder on the hosting site Doteasy. They’re charging quite a bit of money and don’t offer adequate support for Omeka (which we’d like to implement) and so we’re hoping to switch to Reclaim.

This process has become complicated for a few reasons. Firstly, the domain was registered with doteasy and after reading some horror stories about domains being held hostage by hosting services (theirs among them), we’re thinking we’ll just transfer the domain into Google Domains where it’s disconnected from any hosting service.

Secondly, we want to keep our site up on doteasy while we build the new site so that there isn’t a gap in coverage. We can’t simply migrate the data because it’s built in doteasy’s own drag-and-drop builder.

My question is, is it possible to sign up for a new Reclaim account, register a new temporary domain to use in development, then link our original domain (by then registered with google domains) and have that point to Reclaim’s servers instead? If so, is this process fairly straightforward?

If I’m misunderstanding how all this works, please correct me. Right now I’m thinking of a workflow like:

1. Sign up for Reclaim
  2. Build new site
  3. Transfer domain to google domains
  4. Point domain at Reclaim’s servers
  5. Disconnect completely from doteasy

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Hi Chris,
These are great questions! You can absolutely sign up for reclaim with a temporary domain. We’ve got just the guide for this situation called Development URLS.

Once the site is up and running you can point the domain’s nameservers to ns1.reclaimhosting.com and ns2.reclaimhosting.com. This is done within your Google Domains account.

If you have any other questions let us know or feel free to submit a ticket to support by emailing us directly at support@reclaimhosting.com.

Thank you very much, this is helpful! When we decide to move forward, I will reach out to support with any further questions.

All the best,

Chris