SPF File for Email

I’m wondering if there’s a way to find out whether I have an SPF file set up and if I don’t, how I can do so. See, most of my emails to GMail addresses end up in the receiver’s junk mail folder, which is really the pits. It looks like, from some reading, that Google may be looking for an SPF file to verify that mail claiming to be from triptronix.net really is from my domain and otherwise classifying it as spam.

SPF is a TXT type DNS record. If you go to the Zone Editor in cPanel you will be able to see all records. cPanel creates an SPF record automatically and you can edit it there. For testing the presence of the record you can use this external tool SPF Check & SPF Lookup - Sender Policy Framework (SPF) - MxToolBox

1 Like

Tx! I’ll check it out and see how it goes. Any idea how long the Goog takes to uptake/care about these?

All things DNS the general rule is 24-48 hours. With Gmail you can read the headers of the mail to see if they are flagging the SPF record in any way. https://pepipost.com/blog/how-to-read-email-headers-to-identify-spam/

MXTool and an ad hoc test suggests this is better now, thanks!

Forgot to add the additional resources I found helpful in creating the SPF record:

Seems many of my WordPress site notifications get flagged by gmail, this is very useful (nice blog named “Bleaah”!). The DMARC tool was helpful for me too.

1 Like